Monday, May 16, 2011

Yoga & Running

People have often told me, "Running is 90% mental." I was frustrated by that statement because I didn't understand what it meant. I think I now have an inkling of what it could mean.

Throughout my entire life, my mind has dictated what my body can and cannot do. It many ways, it acted as my ego, and my ego was in poor shape. When faced with a physical challenge, my mind immediately let my body know that this was not going to be possible or practical, and I completely trusted that my mind was correct. This lead to a rather sedentary lifestyle, which attributes to my struggles with weight throughout adolescence and well into adulthood. It wasn't until I discovered yoga that my body tricked my mind into thinking, "We can do this!" And thank the Universe it was yoga. Yoga is the very practice that helped me to better understand the intricate relationships of the mind, body and ego, and that my thoughts are not always accurate.

In a pose, we're encouraged to observe and consider how we feel. We're doing this to get in touch with ourselves, get to know ourselves better. It's so easy to become disconnected from our bodies as we move through our daily lives, and yoga helps us come back home. I realized that I CAN be in a challenging pose and NOT die! I DO have the ability to go deeper into a pose and stay just a little longer than my mind allows. My body is perfectly healthy and free of injury. I have so much to be thankful for and I should be honoring my temple with daily movement and exercise- doing things that challenge this incredible specimen on a regular basis, because I can!! And in this sense, yoga is interchangeable with running. If I tell myself I can finish the mile, I can. If I tell myself I can't, I won't. So instead of playing head games, I simply breathe and observe how I feel. Does anything hurt? Can I smooth my breath? These questions allow me to calm down and come back to my "practice." I see running in a whole new light today, and I am so grateful for this profound awakening.

No comments:

Post a Comment